We want it now! We do not want it later. We do not want to wait.
Whoever said that patience is a virtue surely understood this. There are so many things we can get RIGHT NOW! I will list some:
1. College degree on-line in as fast as 1 year. This ad appears all the time on the internet. Right. I am sure that is a sound education.
2. A new car. You can go get one now. You don’t even need money. You don’t even need to have good credit. Even if you have declared bankruptcy, you can go purchase a car right now without any money. Right. I am sure that is a good decision.
3. A new TV, a new computer, a new I-Pod, a DVR, new clothes. Right. I am sure that this is a sincere need.
4. $500 right now! For just $639.50, you can get $500 right now – BUT, you the $639.50 check you write now will be cashed in 21 days. Right. I am sure that is a rip-off.
5. FOOD. You can go get food right now. Hardly any waiting. Taco Bell, McDonald’s, Hardee’s (why?), Burger King, Chick-Fil-A (Yes!), Pizza Hut, Arby’s, Jack-In-The-Box, Carls Jr, In-and-Out, White Castle (Yes!). Yet in the time it takes you to drive to the store to purchase this food, you could eat like a king at home for less than 1/4 of the price. Uncontrolled dining out can put you in the poorhouse.
Here is the deal. If you can not control the I-WANT-IT-NOW kid inside yourself, you will never be able to have financial success. The I-WANT-IT-NOW kid will rob you and your family of financial peace and disable your ability to use your money to build wealth, help the poor and broken, and to restore hope. Instead, you will buy a whole bunch of stuff that will disappear into the trash heap or sewer shortly.
I am not telling you to not spend money. I am just asking you to consider the reasons why you are spending money and to challenge you to look for better alternatives.