Moving costs money.
Here are some questions (answers below):
- How much does it cost to rent a one-way 26′ box truck for 5 days and unlimited miles?
- How much does it cost for boxes?
- How much does it cost for the fuel to get from point A to point B?
- How much does it cost to rent a car tow dolly?
- Have you thought about furniture pads?
- How much does it cost to get your old house ready to move out of?
- How much does it cost to get your new house ready to move in to?
- If you are selling your home, how much does it cost?
- One-way rentals are FAR more expensive than returning the rental to the spot you picked up the truck. General costs for a one-way rental is between $1,300 and $2,500.
- Boxes. Wow. Moving boxes that you purchase run anywhere from $150 – $500.
- Fuel? Depends on the average gas prices. 26′ box trucks get HORRIBLE gas mileage – between 4 and 7 mpg. If you get a diesel, you can expect to get between 8 and 12 mpg.
- A car tow dolly will run you around $200
- Furniture pads are very cheap. Around $10/dozen. Get at least two dozen more than you think you will need.
- Depends greatly on the condition of the home. If you’ve maintained things well, it could be $500 or less. If you haven’t maintained things well, it could be a LOT more.
- Depends greatly on the condition of the home. If you negotiate effectively, you can have the house handed over in great condition.
- If you use a realtor, selling fees on a home generally run between 4% and 7%. If you sell your home yourself, you can do it for somewhere around $1,500.