This is for those few people who feel like their days are out of control busy.
Most of my posts have been related to finances. Today, I want to focus on another item that continually impacts people’s lives – out of control schedules.
I believe that there are many similarities between out of control spending and out of control schedules.
- Time AND Money are both finite. You know that there is a limited amount of money under your management. There are also 1,440 minutes/day under your management.
- Both get out of control by adding additional expenses/activities over time. Eventually, it spirals out of control. It creeps up slowly.
- Time and Money get out of control though good intentions. You agree to let your child participate in a second sport. The dinner invitation is accepted even though it was your one night home that week. In the act of doing good, people will tend to ignore or reduce their concerns of the impact on time and money.
- When Time OR Money is out of control, you will feel like your schedule and money are managing you instead of you managing them. This is backwards, and the feelings you have when this is the case are miserable!
- They can both be brought under control! INCOME – OUTGO = EXACTLY ZERO works for time just as well as it does with money.
So what can you do? What should you do to bring your time under control?
Force it to fit the equation: INCOME – OUTGO = EXACTLY ZERO
I have developed a time budget (i.e. – a weekly calendar). When my schedule has reached the out of control point, I utilize this form to regain control. Just as I do with our financial budget, I sit down with Jenn and prepare this together. When we use this form, we generally put it together one week ahead of time.
Remember INCOME – OUTGO = EXACTLY ZERO. Spend your time wisely!