I am continually amazed by the number of persons I meet who have nearly $1,000 a month in car payments, yet they do not give any money away. They just cannot seem to find a way to do it. They claim to really want to give, but when it comes time to cut the checks giving is not a part of it.
I disagree. I do not believe that they truly want to give or that it is last on the list of importance. If giving were truly important to them, they would be doing so!
Jenn and I love to give. I thought that in the spirit of Christmas, I would list the reasons that Jenn and I give money away.
1. It is what we are called to do. We are Christians who are attempting to be the best followers of Christ that we can possibly be. Christ gave His life for us. The least we can do is give some of our money to help others. As a result, we give at least 10% of our gross income to our local church. We give additional money to help missionaries who are dependent upon our financial gifts to be able to conduct ministry where they are.
2. We want to support causes that we deeply believe in. One way to do this is to provide financial support. We love Purdue University. Our education at that school impacted our lives forever! We want to ensure that this continues for students in the future. We love our home church, NewSpring. We want to ensure that this church is able to continue to impact the community and the world. We love helping others. If we see a need, it is awesome to be able to help financially without worrying about how in the world we are going to make it.
3. We live in the richest country on the planet so the least we could do is give some money away. Seriously, how terrible is it that we pout that we can't drive a Lexus when there are others on this same planet who do not have food to eat?
4. We want to leave a legacy and an excellent example for our children and our children's children. If we were to keep all of our money to ourselves, our child would learn that same behavior. Jenn and I want to inspire the "attitude of gratitude" in our daughter. Pay it forward. It is worth it!
5. We love being able to help. The Bible says that we are created in God's own image. He gave his only son for us. That means that God is a giver and since we are created in his image, we can't help but give. It is an AWESOME feeling to be able to give.
If you are not giving money away, you are missing out! It is truly better to give than to receive. Try it out! Start with $10! Anything! You will see immediately the truth of giving.