ARGH – Not another car problem!

Well, the car monster has struck again!

It was June 7 – Jenn and I's 10th wedding anniversary.  We had enjoyed a FANTASTIC dinner at Sullivan's Metropolitan Grill (best restaurant in the entire world – not kidding).  After dinner, we jumped into the car and were cruising around a few neighborhoods.

Suddenly, a light came on in the dashboard panel.  "ABS" showed up.  "GREAT!", I said.  Thirty seconds later, another light.  Thirty seconds later, another.  Then another!  Then another!

Then they all started blinking, and then …

All the gauges went to zero and all the lights went out – WHILE I WAS STILL DRIVING THE CAR – and the motor was still running!

I headed home immediately to switch out vehicles, but it was too late.

At the next stop sign, the car died.

Dead.  Wouldn't even turn over.  Wouldn't even click!

I found my local repair shop in my cell phone contact list and placed a call to them to get the tow truck sent over.  (Is it time to replace your car when the repair shop's number is in your phone's contact list?)

I then called my friend and savior, Ken, to rescue Jenn and I from the street corner.

The issue?  Alternator was shot.  So were the brakes.  So was the rotor that had been grinding away for at least a month.

A few hundred dollars and a day later, we are tooling around in the car again.  I wonder how long it will be until we have to repair it again.  Anyone placing bets?

7 Responses to “ARGH – Not another car problem!”

1. Paul Moyer June 13, 2007 at 5:28 am #

I would bet on the next time you have an important event or meeting to get to. Seems like they alway break down at the most inopportune times.

2. Mark Asbell June 13, 2007 at 7:08 am #

What kind of car is it and how many miles? I’ll guess what the next broken part will be.

3. Just me June 13, 2007 at 11:16 am #

Ill tell ya what i think .. I think there is a car sabotager (isthat how ya spell it? is that even a word? ok im going with it anyway!) looking for Newspring people LOL .. My husbands car has been parked for a week, we knew he would be at the beach and could work on it when he got back so we just shared mine the week before they left… well you guessed it. he left and now my brakes are metal to metal .. but it happened so sudden and only on one side so my mechanic guy (over the phone) thinks my pads may have broken off on that one side :( yikes … he says dont drive it. Now that doesnt sound fun. huh? maybe car bad luck is being passed on thru the blogs ?? First Alden then You, now us .. whos next?

4. MOM June 13, 2007 at 2:07 pm #

Come on Joe, break down and buy another car before you all are stranded on the highway somewhere between Anderson and ??? (Indiana, Michigan, Virginia, Georgia, its not like you are never on long road trips. OR…Worse than stranded, something could let loose and cause a wreck. The Purdue car has served you well! Love Ya. MOM

5. John X June 13, 2007 at 5:36 pm #

When Momma gets on your blog site & starts giving out advice, maybe you should listen to it!

6. Rich Brott June 13, 2007 at 6:00 pm #

….and here’s another vote for mom!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks: