Have you ever had a "THIS PLACE HAS GOT TO BE CLEANED UP OR ELSE" moment? My bride has this moment quite regularly around our house!
Jenn is a total neat-freak. It has to be in order. If I lay my glass of sweet tea (I am in the South) down for 3 seconds, it is whisked away to the dishwasher whether I was finished or not. If an important piece of paper is put out on the table, it will be filed within 4 seconds, whether I wanted it filed or not.
Jenn is organized. She sees "clean" and "organized" at a level I can not seem to be able to see EXCEPT when it comes to our family finances. I have three-ring binders – three of them to be exact. They have been neatly titled – Investing I, Investing II, and Medical. Within each of them, all of our investing and medical records are neatly organized in chronological order. I can't stand to see this information disorganized!
Financial organization is so key to winning with money. Here are some characteristics of well-organized finances:
- Balanced checkbook
- Able to obtain an important financial document within 60 seconds of request
- A spending plan for your money BEFORE the month begins – Remember that it is EZ!
- Husband and wife are both "in the know" of each account and the family's financial condition
- A central location for all incoming bills to be placed
- Clear responsibility defined for who is actually going to be writing the checks/setting up the draft/bill-pay service for each bill
Here are some signs that you are NOT organized well with your finances:
- Bills are unopened for 3 or 4 months
- No idea of the checking account balance
- 16 bounced checks in one month
- Confused as to what that bill named "NSF" is that keeps showing up in the account
- One or both spouses has checked out of the game financially
- It takes you 31 hours to obtain an important financial document
- Incoming bills are placed in the trash can
GET ORGANIZED – It will help you take your finances to the next level!