Wants <==> Needs: Follow Up

My blog post about Wants <==> Needs a couple of weeks ago really generated quite a response, and it has been interesting to receive all of your feedback on the steps that Jenn and I are taking to eliminate our home mortgage.

If you recall, we are considering eliminating/reducing our spending on:

• Cable TV
  • Spending Money
  • Babysitting Money
  • Internet
  • Entertainment Money
  • Gasoline Money
  • Christmas Money

Well, here is an update to our discussion.

• Cable/Internet  I was spending $126/month on my stupid cable and internet bill.  That is ridiculous!!!  After forty minutes of phone conversation and talking to six representatives (yes I counted), I have been able to reduce to basic cable and basic internet for $34/month.  That is a savings of $92/month!  Annually, that is a savings of $1,104 and it will allow us to color in over 15 extra squares on the Sangl Family Home Pay-Off Spectacular PER YEAR!
  • Gasoline Money We are starting to take our lunch to the crusade instead of going home.  This allows us to save 12 miles of driving each day.  This will save us around $36/month!  Annually, that is a savings of $432 and it will allow us to color in nearly 6 extra squares on the Sangl Family Home Pay-Off Spectacular PER YEAR!
  • Babysitting, Entertainment, Spending, and Christmas Money are all on the docket for this month's spending discussion.  PRAY that this goes well!

As I have routinely said throughout my life – Thoughts and talk without action is mere babble!

We are taking ACTION to destroy this stupid mortgage!

I welcome any money saving tips you may have!

12 Responses to “Wants <==> Needs: Follow Up”

1. JW Thornhill November 29, 2007 at 4:13 am #

We just increased our Entertainment expenses for the month of December but, after reading your post I’m motivated to discuss reducing or eliminating our cable/internet, etc. for the following months after.

Thanks for the inspiration.

2. Saving Freak November 29, 2007 at 7:37 am #

If you have phone service from AT&T and DSL is available in your area you can get DSL Lite for only $10 per month. This is still considered high speed but is not great for large numbers of downloads. It works fine on web surfing and streaming video/audio.

3. jane November 29, 2007 at 10:16 am #

joe…thanks for your comment!

As for your babysitting fees….let me know, I LOVE kids and would be willing to barter. No kids as of yet to swap-sit with, but I would consider other things to barter with! And for special times (birthdays, anniversaries and such) I would be willing to donate some child care services! Especially given how you have soooo helped God rock our world! I love to give back to those who have helped.

And you just NEVER know when I may need your help! We are all in this boat of life together, let’s help one another instead of looking for what we can get out of it.

4. Rindy November 29, 2007 at 1:52 pm #

Deal with the cable company! Do not pay full price!!

When we decided to cut back on cable a few years ago, they tried to give us every deal they could think of–we actually stuck with the lowest basic and even with 3 teens it’s good! When I added high speed internet at an intro deal, the installers told me when the trial ran out to ask for ‘Road runner lite’…1/2 the price and we can’t tell any difference at all!! We now pay $38/mo taxes and all for cable/internet combined (through Time Warner)

5. Keith November 29, 2007 at 5:56 pm #

If you recycle, you can reduce household waste by over 75%. Most communities offer free drop off points. Also, you can drop your garbage pick up and run the bags to the county disposal area. This saves me over $20 per month.

Also, my wife’s grandfather is the ultimate penny pincher. He splits the cost of the newspaper with his neighbor. The neighbor gets the newspaper, reads it and then drops it off. Savings = $6/ month

6. Caryn November 29, 2007 at 6:59 pm #

My favorite book for penny-pinching is The Complete Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacyczyn. Of course you should check this out from your library so it’s free, but I loved it so much that years ago I bought a used copy on eBay!

Something else I have just started doing is using coupons! I never thought about this much before as I buy mostly store brand items because they’re much cheaper anyway. Just about a month ago I saw a woman at the recycle center getting coupon inserts out of the papers in the bin and a lightbulb went on in my head. Now every week when I go to the recycle ctr, I search through the paper bin and grab all the inserts I can find. I come home and clip coupons I might use. Now, granted, sometimes the store brand items will still be cheaper…but if you can shop at stores who have double coupons and time it with weekly sale items, you can get some GREAT deals!!! Sometimes even FREE stuff! Just in the last week I got free dog food and cat treats (we have lots of pets)as well as toothpaste, mayo, and a few other items for just pennies!! YEAH!

7. Casey Graham November 29, 2007 at 7:10 pm #

JOE SANGL FOR PRESIDENT!!! Loved the post.

Casey

8. MrsWilliams November 30, 2007 at 12:00 pm #

How can I cut down on my cable and internet? As of now I have basic cable and high speed internet thru Charter and pay a little over $100 a month. We only use the internet for basic surfing, no major downloads or high volume stuff.

9. Tina December 1, 2007 at 3:57 pm #

Today I needed cloves & cinnamon sticks for a recipe. I picked them up ($5.99 for cinnamon sticks and $4.99 for cloves). While looking for another ingredient I found the international foods aisle and their spice center. The Mexican brand of cinnamon was 99C and the cloves were 1.33. So I saved $8.66 by buying the same product in the same grocery store, just the mexican brand.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks:

1. JosephSangl.com » Sangl Home Pay-Off Spectacular - December 2007 - December 6, 2007

[...] We are even more fired up about getting rid of the mortgage!!!  Why?  Because we are taking REAL ACTION to reduce our expenses so that we can send even more money toward principal! [...]

2. I Was Broke. Now I'm Not! - December 7, 2007

Sangl Home Pay-Off Spectacular – December 2007

Every month there will be an update of Joe & Jenn’s Home Pay-Off Spectacular! The third monthly update is TODAY!

We are even more fired up about getting rid of the mortgage!!! Why? Because we are taking REAL ACTION to reduce our expenses so that…

3. I Was Broke. Now I'm Not! - January 11, 2008

Sangl Home Pay-Off Spectacular – January 2008

We are even more fired up about getting rid of the mortgage!!! Why? Because we HAVE TAKEN REAL ACTION to reduce our expenses so that…