I love gardening. I am a FREAK about gardening. Seriously.
Every January, I start getting this glazed-over look in my eyes, and I have to really control the urge to pull out all of my seeds and start planting them.
Gardening can save you money on your grocery bill. If you have no idea about gardening, then you want to keep it simple and small. This will make it fun, educational, and keep things cheap.
If you are just starting out, I recommend the following plants for some sure-fire, tried and true producers.
- Zucchini – You will feel like an expert gardener with this plant. It will EXPLODE with fruit and you can't really mess this up.
- Yellow Squash – Same as zucchini on ease of growing!
- Tomato – Home-grown is WAY different than store-bought.
- Bell Pepper – These plants love hot weather.
- Cucumber – Great snacks and very easy to grow.
- Green Beans – Yummy!
- Snow Peas – These things are prolific producers and twenty vines will produce handfuls of peas every two days or so. Great for stir-fry!
- Sunflowers – Try the mammoth sunflowers that have flowers over 16" wide and stalks over eight feet tall. The kids will have a blast watching these plants grow.
- Radishes – From seed to harvest in about forty days.
I love my garden. The great veggies PLUS the awesome flowers that are grown in it make it a very cheap hobby and a way to supplement the groceries budget in the summer.
Receive each post automatically in your E-MAIL by clicking HERE