Well, this weekend the family ventured out into the wild world of tent camping at a state park in the foothills of the mountains.
It was a very cheap weekend, AND we had a blast!
- Camp Site (2 nights): $45.10
- Food (no extra cost – we brought our regular groceries): $0.00
- Stupid Tax (left our pan at home): $14.95
Total Cost: $60.05
We had an AWESOME time. Here are the highlights.
- We put up the tent. Our tent attracts rain. It POURED both nights. BUT both days were nice and sunny.
- We saw a copperhead snake up close. That always makes me feel comfortable.
- I ate three smores in one sitting and then proceeded to cook another dozen marshmallows. INCREDIBLE!
- We saw a pileated woodpecker up close. Beautiful.
- I got to spend time with my wife and daughter without the computer, internet access, or my cell phone.
- We all got our first sunburns of the season.
- There is nothing like breakfast cooked over a campfire. Bacon sizzling. Eggs frying. 100% purple grape juice. Yum.
- Melea started the fire herself with matches. I taught her how to responsibly use matches. I hope she remembers all of the rules.
- I had to make an emergency run to a Dollar General store for a frying pan, clothesline, and clothes pins. I need to go to Dollar General more often! They really have good prices, and the store was really neat, organized nicely, and clean.
- I caught ZERO fish. First time I have been skunked all year. I don't like that.
I need to put camping on the calendar more often!
Like what you are reading? Receive each post automatically in your E-MAIL by clicking HERE.