“Wild Goose Chase” by Mark Batterson

I read several blogs every single day.  They are on my every-single-day list because of various reasons, but one of the blogs is on there because it regularly stretches me with thought-provoking stuff.

The blog is called Evotional.com (subscribe HERE), and it is written by Mark Batterson.

Mark Batterson is the lead pastor of Washington, DC's National Community Church, widely recognized as one of America's most innovative churches.  NCC meets in movie theaters at metro stops throughout the city, as well as in a church-owned coffee house near Union Station.  More than seventy percent of NCC'ers are single twentysomethings who live or work on Capitol Hill.  Mark is the author of the best-selling In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day.

Well, I am honored to say that I was given a preview copy of Mark's latest book, Wild Goose Chase, which will be released on August 19.

I read it in its entirety in less than three hours, and I think every single person who has spent time wondering what they have been put on earth to do should read this book.

Mark writes, "Most of us have no idea where we're going most of the time.  Perfect."  So true.

As you read through this book, you will understand that the journey is way more important than knowing your future destination.  Mark writes about six cages that can leave you feeling disoriented, disillusioned, and frustrated with life.  He is spot on with his observations.

In his mission to provide next steps for folks, Mark and his team have created a web site called Chase The Goose.  I love it when ideas are moved into practical application.

You can pre-order your copy today at Amazon, and it will ship on August 19.

By the way, I was given one extra copy, and I will give it away FREE.  Who will receive it?  The person who provides the most compelling reason in the comments section of this post.  I will be the sole judge of the most compelling reason and will mail the book out on August 18th.

12 Responses to ““Wild Goose Chase” by Mark Batterson”

1. sydney August 13, 2008 at 2:25 pm #

Joe, you should give me the book for free because there are exactly 4,927,682 other things I could do with that $15.18. Mainly, give it to GameTime.

2. caseynmorgan August 13, 2008 at 6:37 pm #

Joe,

I am currently asking the question as to why I am here. Specifically, what has God placed me on the earth to do? So, I you think this book would help encourage my journey towards an obedient destination, then I would be honored to receive it.

3. Jeff August 14, 2008 at 4:14 am #

I need the book because I feel like my life is totally out of control. But I DO KNOW that God is in control. I have faith in Him that He will get me through this valley. I could use the book to help direct me and regain my focus. Thanks.

4. Kim August 14, 2008 at 4:19 am #

Because I am a mom, housewife, grocery shopper, billpayer, and money manager for our family as well as full time employee (in sales, so lot of hours) I never have time to read a book. However, I am going to the beach Labor Day weekend and need a good book to read. I think you should give me the book because not only will I have a good book to read but I will not be inclined to purchase one, therefore allowing me to spend that $15 toward debt this month!!

5. Michele August 14, 2008 at 5:40 am #

Hey, Joe!! I have been on my personal debt freedom march since I went to your workshop in April. I need this book to help me find the direction to do whatever wonderful thing that God has in his plan for me. I love adventure, and I’m ready for my next journey! Besides, I just heard about the book and it’s not in my monthly budget!!

6. Susan August 14, 2008 at 6:05 am #

Joe-
    I feel as though I know my purpose but that changes monthly or by the year. I feel like “oh this is it this is God’s purpose for my life!” and then something will happen and “oh well maybe that wasn’t it.” And until I started hearing and reading pieces of Mark’s book via twitter I had never thought of it as a Wild Goose Chase but that is exactly what it is. I think this book would be good to help me focus and for me to be able to pass along to others that are struggling as well.

7. Tim Karr August 14, 2008 at 3:48 pm #

Dear Joe,

This sounds like it would be a nice book for me to take the next step. Pastor Richie Miller said “walking in the spirit” requires me to take the next step. Ever since that, I have volunteered for almost every position in the church and have eagerly read the Bible expecting God to direct me to the next step.

This would be a nice book to share with the people I will be councling to give them “Hope” and direct others to their next step with God.

Thanks and God Bless,
    Tim Karr

8. Michael August 14, 2008 at 6:03 pm #

Joe,

I am in the middle of a career dilemma. Although I have a good job with the Government, I may soon have the opportunity to switch to another agency with less stress, a better working schedule, and the chance to work from home one to two days per week. The downside is I would be step down grade but not pay wise at least initially. It could potentially allow my wife and I to participate more fully in our parish, get in better physical shape, and help others in our spare time with their financial issues through group studies such as yours. Despite all the positives, I am still struggling with this decision and need all the guidance that I can get. It sounds like this book would be a wonderful way to sort it all out for me and my wife. Thanks, Joe.

9. Dave H. August 14, 2008 at 8:55 pm #

Joe,

I am about to be affected by the downsizing in the airline industry this fall. Fortunately, I will not be furloughed, but will be retiring early, with incentives from my company.

At 58, I still have several years ahead of me, and a few months ago I began the search for what I really want to do “when I grow up”. This search actually began before the downsizing was announced, and there have been a number of coincidences (I believe God induced) that have pointed in that direction. It is almost as if I am on an Abraham trip;”go and I will show you a land”.

I am intrigued by the idea that when we were formed in the womb, God created a bent in each of us to do something special and unique with our lives. Many people never find what they were created for. I am still looking after all these years of playing it safe. I believe I am now ready to step out on faith. “Wild Goose Chase” may contain directions for me to “the land that I will show you”.

10. Elaine August 15, 2008 at 4:19 am #

Joe,
    You should give me the book because it is not in my budget for this week, but I would really like to read it. I know you wouldn’t want me to buy it and get off my budget!!!

11. Caryn August 16, 2008 at 6:26 pm #

Joe,
    You need to give us this book! It sounds absolutely fascinating but we only borrow books at the library or purchase them at the thrift store. Being a new release, I don’t forsee us finding this book either of those ways anytime in the near future. We are VERY VERY close to debt freedom and this book would truly help us along our journey… Plus, when we are both finished reading it we’ll bless someone else by giving it away :)
    Thanks in advance for sending us Wild Goose Chase!
    Caryn & Tavish

12. Mike & Ann August 18, 2008 at 9:02 am #

Hey Joe,
    As you know I quit Corporate America back in Feb 2008 I was making good money, but felt I was stagnating in a dead end job. After listening to Dave Ramsey, reading books he recommended, like “48 Days to the Job you Truly Love”, Millionaire Next Door, and your book “I was Broke, Now I’m Not” plus many others, I was been inspired to find a new rewarding niche in life and wanted to give back of the gifts, talents and abilities that God has given me.

I now work for 5 Point Fellowship, in Easley SC., as Secretary/Fianance/Volunteer Coordinator.

Finance, oraganizational skills and people are my passion, and 5 Point gave me a way to help live my passions. BUT, finding that EXACT niche within the ministry is still somewhat eluding me. This book sounds like a great resource to help me along my journey to finding EXACTLY what GOD has planned for me and my ability to help 5 Point more.

I hope you will consider me for the book. Thanks so much for the minsitry you provide. Praise God for convicting you the way he has.
    Your Friend