The Catalyst main sessions on Thursday and Friday were incredible. Here are some key points I took away.
Andy Stanley – Leader of North Point Community Church – Atlanta, GA
- The people who influence the most are those who have no authority over us
- Moral Authority is when there is alignment with what you SAY you believe and what you actually DO
- Our moral authority is of incredible value
- Prioritize the role only I can play over the role that others can play (From Andy's book Choosing To Cheat)
- I love the fact that Andy is building a legacy by continuing to challenge his own self to grow.
William Paul Young – Author of The Shack
- A story written to his children that has taken on a life of its own
- I love hearing stories of how a "nobody" becomes "somebody" just because they were doing something they were passionate about
Jim Collins – Author of Good To Great
- Jim said, "I am passionate to be here today with you."
- You will find a culture of discipline in a great organization. You will not find it in good organizations
- Most overnight successes are the product of twenty years of effort
- Overreaching is the number one reason that once great companies fail
- Signature characteristic of Level 5 Great Leaders is humility
- You can download a FREE copy of the Good To Great Diagnostic Tool HERE
- Work is infinite. Time is finite. The appetite for work is a prescription for a nervous breakdown.
- The nerd engineer in me LOVES the fact-driven, research-based approach.
Brenda Salter McNeil – Leader of Salter McNeil & Associates
- Author of Credible Witness
- The Church was always intended to be multi-ethnic AND global!
- I loved Brenda's energy and passion for her calling
Steven Furtick – Pastor of Elevation Church
- I Kings 18 – How to keep a hold on your vision when there is nothing there!
- The time between the PROMISE and the PAY-OFF is a refining process
- Steven Furtick's message was most impactful to me. I know what the PROMISE is, and I am so PUMPED that I can actually see the PAY-OFF coming to pass! This crusade has experienced explosive growth, and what is coming next is going to take this thing to an entirely new level!
Seth Godin – Thinker, Blogger, Author
- Tribes matter. Everyone belongs to a tribe.
- People ask two questions: "Who else is going to be there?" and "Who is going to lead us?"
- We all lead a tribe
- It is all about leading – not controlling
- He said a statement that I am still trying to figure out. He said, "A dumpy version of K-Mart." I can't even fathom what a dumpy version of K-Mart looks like!
- At the end of the session, Seth gave away a copy of his latest book, Tribes, to every person who attended Catalyst (around 12,000!).
Craig Groeschel – Founder and Senior Pastor of LifeChurch.tv
- Talked about "IT" a lot
- Ruin me. Heal me. Stretch me.
- If you have lost "IT", you have to do something drastic.
- Wrote a book called It
- About halfway through Craig's message, I noticed that at least 1/8 of the entire audience was crying. They knew what it was like to be in the zone and have "it", but they have lost "it". It has been a long time since I have seen a message impact that large of a crowd in such a personal way.
I am saving an entire post to reflect on my hero's talk – Dave Ramsey himself.