Free Wi-Fi at Starbucks

If you have followed this crusade for any period of time, you know that there is no Starbucks within 20 minutes of Anderson, SC.

Since we live in such famine conditions, I stop every time I have the opportunity to grab a grande Pike's Place.  One of the most frustrating things to me was the fact that they have wi-fi, but want to charge me money to use it.  Frustrating.

Then, I started reading the small print and realized that I could have two hours of free internet every day at Starbucks simply by obtaining a gift card.

So, here is what I do.  Instead of just purchasing the grande Pike's Place coffee, I load up some money on my gift card and then purchase the coffee with my gift card.  Since I was going to purchase the coffee anyway, it is worth the small inconvenience to load up the gift card to get free wi-fi internet.

Hopefully this helps out all of you who are blessed with a Starbucks in your immediate vicinity.  And if you work for Starbucks, please tell them to open a location in Anderson, SC.

6 Comments

1. Rob on March 15, 2009 at 4:39 am

Great tip Joe!!! Thanks for everyting you do!

2. b/ on March 15, 2009 at 6:41 am

So, I’m wondering Joe, it sounds like if you opened a starbucks in Anderson it would be a great venture. If I came to Anderson and opened a starbucks do you think I’d make it? Not that I’m considering, just wondering why no one has yet.

3. Collin on March 15, 2009 at 8:35 am

b/:

Starbucks only partners with corporations like barnes and noble. Individuals can’t franchise a starbucks. I think it would make it in Anderson, though.

4. Collin on March 15, 2009 at 8:35 am

b/:

5. Michael on March 15, 2009 at 1:12 pm

So you are willing to way overpay for coffee for free WiFi? Not drinking coffee out is sighted in various ‘How to save money’ articles I’ve seen lately.

From one site….

60. Buy a flask and carry your coffee/tea to work with you. Coffee and tea only costs pennies to make yourself, but costs $1 or more elsewhere. (I myself can prepare coffee better than Starbucks at home… I start with whole-beans of course.)

and another…..

Have a coffee fix? If you are one of millions of college students ducking into the corner coffeehouse every morning for your daily cuppa Joe, then you are wasting money.

Your daily latte, cappuccino, or mocha will run you between $2.50 and $3.50 depending on the size you need. Seven days of that routine costs you $17.50 per week, $70 per month and around $280.00 per semester! That’s over $500 a year you drank in morning caffeine. Make your own. By the time you graduate from a four-year degree, you’ve saved over $2000 in coffee beverages. That’s just one a day….Buy a decent coffee maker or even a small espresso/cappuccino machine for your dorm room or apartment. You’ll save hundreds of dollars.

and another…..

Make Coffee at Home
    Many people depend on coffee to get them going in the morning. Besides that, it tastes good. But someone who stopped every morning before work for a large coffee would be spending from $28-$100 per month, depending on the shop and what they ordered. Though $28 may not sound like much, it adds up to over $330 per year. At the high end, $100 per month equates to $1,200 per year.

A much more inexpensive idea is to make the coffee at home and take it in a travel mug. Many homes already have a coffee maker, but for those that don’t, a coffee maker can be picked up for less than $25 at most discount department stores. Not figuring in the cost of the coffee machine, making this one change could save the average person from $270-$1,140 over one year.

6. Robin on March 15, 2009 at 5:54 pm

Also Joe, if you register it online, you can get a free refill on regular coffee or a flavor shot. You can also reload online. (saves me time if they’re busy).