Miracle On The Way

In the church that I attended as I grew up, they had something called "testimony service".  It was a time where people shared with the entire church what God was doing in their life.

With that in mind, let me testify …

Jenn and I have one child, a daughter.  She is nine.  Jenn is from a family of six children.  I am from a family of six children.  We wanted a large family.

For eight and a half years, we have had wanted to have an addition to our family, but have been unsuccessful.  If you have ever read my book, I Was Broke. Now I'm Not., I share on pages 15 and 16 about two major surgeries that Jenn had to have to remove large tumors/cysts from her ovaries.

We met with a reproductive specialist twice.  Once in 2004 and again in late 2008.  The conclusion was the same.  Because of the scar tissue and multiple surgeries, the only real option for a pregnancy was to pursue "in vitro fertilization" (IVF).  IVF is extremely costly and has many issues – not the least of which are the moral considerations.  Before we could even consider IVF, however, we were told that one of the fallopian tubes had to be removed because it was so scarred and damaged.  In November 2008, that tube was removed – further reducing our chances at pregnancy.

After much prayer, Jenn and I embarked on the IVF journey in January with the agreement that every embryo would be given a chance at life.  God has blessed us, and we had the money to pay cash for it.  We could have remodeled our master bathroom and kitchen for the cost of IVF, but we decided that we would rather have a child than granite countertops.  We knew that we were privileged already because we had been blessed a child – many have not had that joy.  But we also knew the joy of having brothers and sisters and prayed that this investment into IVF would work.

Our prayer to God was this:  "You have blessed us with the funds to do this.  You know our heart's desire for another child.  Whatever the answer is from You, we will accept it.  If Your answer is, "No", then OK.  If Your answer is "Yes", AWESOME!

We went for the blood test to see if IVF worked in early February.  The answer was, "No".

We were devastated.

So let me set up where we were on June 16, 2009 by summing up the facts:

• Two major in-patient surgeries on ovaries
  • Major scar tissue
  • One fallopian tube
  • Two doctors saying IVF is pretty much the only chance we have
  • Dropped nearly $18,000 trying IVF
  • Gave up completely

On June 16, 2009, my tired, exhausted, and nauseated wife said she thought something was wrong and said the only time she had ever felt this way was ten years ago when she was expecting our daughter.  She went out at lunch to buy a pregnancy test.  I told her that she was throwing money down the drain.

Can I tell you a secret?  I went into our spare bathroom as Jenn went to "take the test" and I BEGGED GOD to answer our heart's cry.  Ever been there?  Ever BEGGED GOD?  It is a level of desperation I have rarely felt.

I believe that God smiled and said, "Watch this!"

You would not believe the pandemonium that took place in the house over the next two hours.

In early 2010, if it be God's will, we will have a new addition in the Sangl Family. God has shown Himself to be who He says He is.

Prayers are appreciated for my bride and the pregnancy.

Testimony Service Over – unless you want to share how God has been faithful to you!

32 Responses to “Miracle On The Way”

1. Jeff in St. Paul, IN June 19, 2009 at 8:29 am #

Shouting Hallelujah!!! Praise The Lord!!! Praying for You, Jenn and Melea!

2. SavingFreak June 19, 2009 at 8:35 am #

Miracles happen everyday and people are many times too busy to realize how God is actively working in our lives. Thanks for sharing and I hope this inspires us all to look for the miracles that God is just waiting to bless us with.

3. Rachel June 19, 2009 at 9:04 am #

How awesome God is!!

4. Travis June 19, 2009 at 9:06 am #

Congratulations!!!

To coin a Joe Sangl term…. I was “PUMPED” to read this post.

My favorite part was when you told Jen that she was “throwing money down the drain” when she went to buy the pregnancy test. lol

That really tells me just how much you had given up! You spent nearly $18k at a chance and now you quibbled over $5-10? But.. you got it back because God never ceases to work in our lives.

I will no doubt be praying for your family.

travis

ps – Thanks for the note! I appreciate the encouragement you sent to me.

5. Lyndsey June 19, 2009 at 9:41 am #

Just wanted you to know that made me cry…love your blog never posted a comment, but this post deserves it. Congratulations and PRAISE GOD from whom all blessings flow! Wow!

6. jane June 19, 2009 at 11:39 am #

Joe and Jenn, I can’t tell you how many times I have cried since the news hit on Wednesday. Praise God!!! We too have two little miracles from God that come with an AWESOME testimony of how God blesses in His way and time. Hugs and prayers! Jane and Jack too!

7. Jeff Maness June 19, 2009 at 1:14 pm #

Praise God man! Thanks for sharing. Congratulations all the way from Wyoming!

8. Chip June 19, 2009 at 2:01 pm #

Congrats to you and Jenn!!!!! God is indeed so GREAT and so FAITHFUL….love to hear that he has blessed an already great family to be even greater!!!!

9. Tracy Steelman June 19, 2009 at 3:24 pm #

Wow! I just finished reading your post and felt as if I was reading about me, my husband, and our son, Matthew just 10 “short” years ago! He was also 9 years old and desperately wanted a brother or sister and prayed every day that God would give him one. We tried everything we could afford to have another baby for 7 1/2 years but nothing worked. We finally just accepted that God only wanted us to have one child and, like you, we gave up completely. Then, about 1 1/2 years later, I found myself expecting another child! I will never forget the look on our son’s face when we told him! God gave him a sister! Then, 2 years later, God gave him a brother! You never know, Joel, this could only be the beginning! Congratulations! I truly rejoice with you during this happy time! Praise be to God!!

10. todd price June 19, 2009 at 9:56 pm #

How awesome is that…You guys are in my prayers!

11. Lori Capace June 20, 2009 at 3:53 am #

Wow! Very excited for you. My husband and I can relate to your situation. I had to have a couple surgeries, so when we found out we were pregnant (18 yrs ago) it was a miracle. Thanks for sharing. We’ll be praying!

12. Mary Beasley June 20, 2009 at 4:04 am #

This brought tears to my eyes! Congratulations and I will be praying for your family!

13. kim keel June 20, 2009 at 4:40 am #

my heart is smiling for you and your family! the fact that this gift in your lives was revealed by Our Father on Father’s Day weekend is part of the blessing and message of grace for you. Praise and Thanks be to our Father God who can do exceedingly abundantly more than we could ever think or ask – Be Glory!!

14. Gail June 20, 2009 at 5:13 am #

Joe, Jenn & Melea,

God is truly awesome! Congratulations on the great news. I always wondered why you had an only child, as you seem like awesome parents, now I know! I’m sure Melea will be an excellent big sister. Praying for an easy, uneventful pregnancy.

My testimony:

We have been unemployed more than we’ve been employed over the last 2 years. BUT GOD….in his awesome faithfulness, has kept & sustained us. We have dropped debt, albeit a small amount, but we have not added & that in itself is a testimony, to God & to your work, Joe. Thank you.

15. Sandie June 20, 2009 at 5:28 am #

Wishing you all the best. We also felt the power of God wtih conceiving our first child. He was two years in the making and well worth wait!

God’s love and power is amazing.

Can’t wait to hear more about your mircale!

16. Lynn Eichin June 20, 2009 at 7:54 am #

What great news this morning enjoy!

17. Todd Helmkamp June 20, 2009 at 12:31 pm #

Praise God! Congrats on the newest member of the Sangl crusade!

18. Geneva June 20, 2009 at 3:55 pm #

Congratulations Joe, Jenn & Melea!!! Praise God.

God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow and He is exceedingly abundantly able to do above all that we could ever ask or think through the power that works in us!!!

He healed in the Bible and He is still healing today!

I wish more in the church could get their minds around that fact, there are soooo many Scriptures to this effect. I think some are afraid to be disappointed and so they don’t go there, they go to the M.D. instead.

I see Him healing and answering prayers daily in those that I minister to through prayer and repentance. And babies too!

He is Jehovah-Rophe, our great Physician and He wanted to get all the glory for this new life. It might appear as though He didn’t want to share what He can do with anyone else!

Praise His holy name for He is worthy of all praise and we must all remain ever HOPEFUL that He is who He says He is and He does what He says He can do.

Hallelujah. We will pray for a healthy delivery!!!

19. Keri June 21, 2009 at 4:31 am #

AHHH!!! What an amazing story. We will cover you in prayer during this miraclous time. Congrats…

20. Jon June 22, 2009 at 7:18 am #

How much evidence do we need to realize that God is more amazing than we can even fathom? I was touched by your news.

21. Burl June 22, 2009 at 1:21 pm #

Praise the Lord! I am thrilled for you Joe! That is an awesome miracle! I love how God gives us abundantly more than we could ever ask or imagine!

22. Karla June 23, 2009 at 6:28 am #

praise the Lord, Joe and Jenn! Praying for you both…and that little one…Psalm 113:9

23. Brent Yarger June 23, 2009 at 3:12 pm #

Congratulations just doesn’t seem to cut it in cases like this. Praise the Lord, and it just goes to show that He enjoys surprises as much as some of us do and He doesn’t miss one bit of the glorious expression when they are revealed.

24. Jill June 23, 2009 at 5:15 pm #

Tears came to my eyes because I went through 6 years of secondary infertility and I know the pain. I was finally blessed with twins through IVF. Congratulations and God bless.

25. Kimberley in Texas June 29, 2009 at 3:09 pm #

Fantastic! Praise the Lord!! The Sangl family is in our prayers wishing the best you all and this pregnancy!

26. Wendy June 30, 2009 at 12:38 pm #

Joe,
    We were really touched by your testimony and witness and have jumped in whole heartedly into reducing our debt. We have struggled with infertility for over 8 years and recently had a second miscarriage at 4 months with our second IVF attempt. We have exhausted our insurance coverage and our 3rd IVF attempt which will be taking place this month.. will be all on our own dime, but we have been tremendously blessed that the Lord has provided the funding every time we need it and our encouraged by your story. We will be praying for a healthy and perfect pregancy.

27. Jaime July 14, 2009 at 6:58 am #

Very cool. And it made me tear up. Congratulations to you guys and Yay for God! Miracles still happen. What a testimony. Thanks for sharing!

28. Anita October 28, 2009 at 3:18 am #

Congratulations, congratulations!!!! Joe and Jen. I can not express how happy I am to have read the news. My husband and I have been blessed with many children. (Five to be exact) and we are thankful for each and everyone of them. May God bless you and your entire family. May God be with Jen throughout her preganancy. This is the greatest gift God can give anyone.

29. karen January 28, 2010 at 2:40 am #

you have no idea HOW EXCITED we are for you guys!! i have eagerly watched your posts for news on jenn during this miracle pregnancy and i am so excited to see baby sangl is almost here! please know that we are praying for all of you and can’t wait to hear the news when your sweet son arrives!!

30. Kim January 28, 2010 at 6:30 am #

I had a similar experience with a Reproductive Endo dr but I chose not to have IVF. God also proved Himself faithful to me by giving me two beautiful children! God bless you & your family! I will keep your wife & family in my prayers during this joyous time!

31. Julie February 4, 2010 at 5:53 am #

YES….I HAVE begged God….and tears started streaming down my face when I got to that part of your “testimony.” I KNOW intimately that kind of desperation and I am smiling and rejoicing with you as I also know the THRILL of answered begging…lol There is NO prayer or BEG like that done on behalf of a child…yours over the birth of a child…mine over a diagnosis….all the same our God is sovereign and loves our TRUST in his provision.

32. Lisa August 28, 2010 at 11:52 pm #

Hi Joe and Family.. congrats on your baby boy.. we are hoping and Praying we can be parents again too.. but, God blessed us with our son when I was 54 and my hubby was 49.. 3 years ago.. and our son Bradley is now 3.. we just got your book and hope to start getting out of debt.. And we hope God will bless us with another son , so Bradley can have a brother to grow up with.. The Agency picked us as he has congen . scoliosis.. curvature of the spine and 3 other families backed out.. so, we got picked when they read our Home study.. we have adopted other kids with special needs in the past 20 years.. so, now I am 57 and my hubby is 52 and we want to try again.. God Bless your family.. they are adorable! Lisa and Bryan Culp and Bradley too!