A friend of mine recently asked me what were some of the top signs that someone was in financial distress. I sent him the below list.
- You have $0 in savings
- You know exactly how much you have left in overdraft protection – and you USE it
- You are well aware of what the term "NSF" means
- You leave bills unopened because you are scared of what is inside
- You are saving nothing for retirement and planning on the lottery and the government to take care of you
- Your kid has 53 Webkinz, but you have nothing saved for their college
- You borrow money from your children
- You borrow money from a payday loan store or a pawn shop
- You have $483,000 in credit card debt
- You are 35, have no job or income, live in Mom's basement, and wonder why things are not going well (financially or otherwise)
Would you add anything to this list?