There are times that I am just overwhelmed with gratefulness. Right now is one of those times.
You see, my life over the past 20 months has had the incredible potential to become a financial disaster. Here are the issues Jenn and I have faced.
- January 2009: One heat pump failed. The other failed four months later. Cost: $9,500
- January 2009: Attempted In-vitro Fertilization (IVF) after nine years trying for a second child. Cost: $18,500
- June 2009: Started “I Was Broke. Now I’m Not.” as a full-time business Cost: Entire Salary PLUS had to obtain individual health insurance
- June 2009: Discovered that Jenn was pregnant (God works in wondrous ways!) – but we had been unable to obtain full maternity coverage – but we had to pay for our insurance plan Cost: $4,000
- February 2010: Keaton Joseph Sangl arrives safe and sound Cost: $13,500
Add those costs up. It adds up to $45,500!!!
Why am I grateful? Because we have not incurred ONE DOLLAR OF DEBT as a result of these MAJOR EXPENSES!!!
You want to know why I am so passionate about the financial principles I teach? That’s why!!! Because we gave. Because we saved. Because we have had a plan. Because we have been diligent, we have been able to avert COMPLETE FINANCIAL DISASTER! We are LIVING THIS. This is more than just some “good idea.” This is a “way of life.”
Think about it. I teach personal finances for a living. Where do you think I will be tested the most? In the management of my own money!
The bank saving accounts are definitely smaller. I am still blessed. It has been an emotional 20 months. I am still blessed.
And our opportunities to serve people and help them become financially free are greater and more numerous than ever! The passion I have for this crusade is hotter than ever.
I am so blessed.
QUESTION OF THE YEAR: Could you absorb a $40,000+ financial penalty over a period of 20 months and still avoid debt and be able to give throughout it all?
By a miracle of God Himself, I can answer that question with a resounding, “YES!”