Carbonite.com – Is It Worth It?

I remember the first time I got digital pictures – it was when my daughter was born in 1999.   I had my film developed at Wal-Mart and then scanned the pictures into my computer.   Within hours of my daughter’s arrival, my entire family throughout the world was able to see pictures of our beautiful baby girl!   The technology!!!

Then I received a digital camera for Christmas from my twin brother.   I think it was a 0.5 MP camera.   Then I got another, better, digital camera.   Then another.   Then my phone had a digital camera.   Then my daughter got a digital camera.

All of this added up to THOUSANDS of priceless photos on my computer.   Not to mention all of our other important documents we’ve stored on the computer.

When a buddy recently LOST all of his files – all of his pictures, movies, iTunes music, and more – I determined to do something about it.

I had heard talk radio show hosts mentioning Carbonite.com as a way to automatically back up files.   I decided to check it out in August.   They have a FREE TRIAL that allowed me to sign up and try it out without even giving them my credit card info.

Bottom line is: I LOVE IT!   So much so that I have put it on my home computer and work computer.   My team has put it on their computers.   In fact, one team member recently got a virus and had to wipe the hard drive clean – then they just used their Carbonite backup to get up and running again!

Here are some things I have noticed:

• It WILL slow your computer down a little when it is backing files up, but all I have to do is click “pause” and it will wait until a later time to back-up.
  • I can easily see which files are backed up and which ones aren’t simply by checking my “file explorer” – files that are backed up have a small solid green dot – those that aren’t have an orange dot.
  • When I signed up my one computer for the free trial and then paid for the service to continue, I received a 50% off offer for it to be installed on a 2nd computer – I used this for my home computer.
  • It takes some time for the first back-up.   It took Carbonite about a week to fully back up all of my files the first time.   Now it does it in minutes.
  • The cost is worth it to me.   It costs around $55/year.   If I lost those files, the cost is much MUCH greater!   I actually group this cost in with “insurance” – as it is insuring my data and pictures against loss!

You can check it out HERE.

6 Responses to “Carbonite.com – Is It Worth It?”

1. Cindy Gray December 22, 2010 at 7:05 am #

I agree! I never have to worry about losing data, computer crashing, etc. I know Carbonite has by back(up.) :)

2. Todd Helmkamp December 22, 2010 at 7:14 am #

If you’d rather not pay a ton, and aren’t worried about a complete backup (and honestly, restoring a complete backup of three years worth of stuff isn’t all that great, why not start fresh and just reinstall the stuff you actually need?) there are a lot of free options. Some that I use are:

Windows Live Skydrive

Adrive

Dropbox

None of them are automatic, i.e. they don’t scan your entire computer (but again, I don’t want them too), but you designate which files and folders you want to backup and voila! Some have options to automatically sync when you change documents saved or add new photos, too. And they don’t cost a dime.

3. Wes H. December 22, 2010 at 8:24 am #

Todd et al.

Check-out CrashPlan.com. It is free (they offer paid online storage, but you do not have to use it) and has saved me once when I wiped all my digital pictures.

As an even extra layer of back-up for my digital pictures I use Picasa and Google’s paid storage.

4. Fan December 23, 2010 at 12:54 am #

I use LiveSafer Unlimited. It works like Carbonite, and will not slow down your computer during backup. Also you can backup all you PC’s with 1 license. You can backup to you own (USB) hard disk and there are no yearly payments….. See http://www.neverloseafile.com for more info.

Have fun,
    Fan

5. Marion Spears Karr December 23, 2010 at 7:38 am #

When I first purchased Carbonite for the office server I thought to myself, this seems to be a bit much for something I would never use. I mean, we do back ups right? WRONG!! Recently when we had to upgrade our ACT data base software we were unaware that sometime when the last upgrade was installed (2007) the data base files (over 35,000 contacts…we are an executive search firm) had been stored in the Program Files folder by an online tech who was assisting us in the install and not in a database folder. Needless to say when the upgrade installed it did an overwrite of all the program files….DELETING our entire data base. When we went to find the backup disc we realized it was very dated and was missing a huge chuck of the work we had done this last year.

Carbonite to the RESCUE! In 15 minutes I was able to easily locate the missing data base files on their server, reload it back on our server, and complete the install.
    I would have had to pay a forensic computer person $100’s to find my deleted file.

Now I have it on my laptop (where all my ministry stuff is stored) as well as the home computer.

Good stuff always there Joe!!

6. Phil Sowers January 13, 2011 at 3:06 pm #

Joe I completely agree with Carbonite. All the other solutions aren’t automated or automatic and will NOT get done. Carbonite has an UNLIMITED storage plan, all the others charge by the gigabyte. I Lost a 500GB drive a few months ago and i was able to recover over 200GB of ALL our family’s photos, videos and even my 100GB+ itunes files! Carbonite to the rescue!

$50 Yearly Subscription
    2 Weeks to backup 300GB of files
    1 Week to restore said Gigabytes
    Safe recovery of every cherished family photo of my wife and kids
    Priceless!

PS: Thanks for the FLE sessions @ Fair Oaks Church in Fairfax,VA. We liked the detailed refreser and are in an even better position to do more this time than the last time you spoke in 2009. Thanks again! =)