Whether you are playing basketball, chopping firewood, or working on your finances, you must WANT IT in order to maximize your return on effort.
If you casually dribble the basketball up the court, you will soon find yourself without the ball and watching the opposing player put it in their basket. To score, you must WANT IT and GO FOR IT.
If you kinda sorta swing the axe, it will bounce off the wood and possibly even hit you. You must swing the axe with much energy and focus in order to split the log. You must WANT IT and GO FOR IT.
There is no reason to believe it will be any different with your finances. If you casually kinda sorta attempt to win with your money, chances are high that you will receive mediocre results. In order to win with your money, it requires FOCUS and INTENTIONAL EFFORT.
Here are some questions to ask yourself to see if you are FOCUSED and WANT to win with your money:
- When was the last time you read a book on personal finances?
- When was the last time you read a blog or article about personal finances?
- Do you know how much money is in your retirement account?
- Do you know the rate of return you are receiving on your investments?
- If you received an extra $30,000 right now, do you know what you would do with it?
- Was the answer to Question 5 spend it all? or retire debt? or invest it? or start a business?
- If you are married, does your spouse know everything about the financial situation and do you discuss major financial decisions PRIOR to making them?
- Is there anyone in your life who has won with their own money? When was the last time you asked them for advice?
- Do you live and operate on a balanced INCOME – OUTGO = EXACTLY ZERO budget?
- Are you saving for Emergencies, Known Upcoming Non-Monthly Expenses, and your Dreams?
I recommend you print this page out and grade yourself from 1 to 10 on each one. For the ones you score low on, I recommend you answer the following question:
“What is one thing I can do TODAY that would allow me to make a difference with this question TOMORROW?”
As I travel this nation on this crusade to help people accomplish far more than they ever thought possible with their personal finances, I see many people who want to win with their money but they aren’t.
If that is you, read the list below to see if any of the below apply. The GOOD NEWS is that you CAN win with your money! Be sure to check out our FREE financial tools HERE.
In no particular order, here are the top reasons I see that people are not winning with their money.
- Inability to say NO (to themselves, spouse, and/or children)
- Shiny Stuff Syndrome
- Lack of financial education
- Spouses not working together
- Lack of giving (rarely do I see selfish people truly win with their money)
- No savings (it is impossible to win financially if you do not save)
- Unwilling to take risk with any investments
- Listening to the wrong (and broke) people
- Impulsive spending decisions
- Failure to carry health and disability insurance
Would you add any reasons to this list?
We trained over 20 financial coaches today, and tomorrow I will be speaking during the morning services at 8:30AM, 10:00AM, and 11:30AM.
On WEDNESDAY, I will be teaching the Financial Learning Experience.
This is an INCREDIBLE church, and I can’t wait to help some people!
I was STUNNED recently as I spoke with the printer of my books when they informed me that my book, I Was Broke. Now I’m Not. is well on its way to being the #1 selling book that they have printed! In fact, based on the quantity of books being purchased, we should move into 1st-place by the end of this year!
Can I just say how utterly overwhelmed I am about this?!?!
This crusade started out as a dream and a passion to help people accomplish far more than they ever thought possible with their finances. AND THE DREAM HAS BECOME REALITY!
To celebrate this news, to help speed up the arrival of this book into the 1st-place position, AND to help MORE PEOPLE GET FREE with their finances, we are providing a special offer to everyone who is a part of this crusade.
SPECIAL OFFER (good thru this Friday, 3/18/2011): 20% off purchase of 10 or more copies of I Was Broke. Now I’m Not. – with FREE SHIPPING!
Just use the PROMO CODE: “CELEBRATE” during checkout when you order HERE.
Buy them to give to your friends, family, and co-workers. Buy them for your church’s bookstore. Buy them to help your renters pay their rent on time. Buy them for graduation gifts.
Check out all of the resources we offer HERE.
I am excited to bring the crusade to the Portland, Oregon area THIS WEDNESDAY – March 16th – at Mountainview Christian Church (Pastor TJ Southard).
We will be training financial coaches on Wednesday afternoon with the Financial Learning Experience that evening at 6:30PM. At the same time, a member of our team will be teaching the youth how to PREVENT financial mistakes in the first place.
I’m FIRED UP!
If you are in the area, I would love to see you there!