Maximize Your 401(k) – Get The Full Match

If you have a retirement plan available to you at your workplace:

• 401(k)
  • 403(b)
  • RRSP
  • TFSA
  • SIMPLE IRA
  • 457
  • TSP

AND your company provides matching funds – such as a “dollar-for-dollar up to 3-percent of pay” or “50 cents on the dollar up to 6-percent of pay” then

I BEG YOU TO DO THIS ONE THING …

Check with your employer to ensure you obtaining the absolute maximum amount of the company match.

It is FREE MONEY, and it is part of your compensation.

Go to Human Resources and ensure you are contributing enough to at least obtain the full company match!

QUESTION:  Would you share with me about your company match and whether you are receiving the full company match?

7 Responses to “Maximize Your 401(k) – Get The Full Match”

1. Randy January 25, 2012 at 6:54 am #

My company matches dollar/dollar up to 6%. Additionally, there’s a 2% “auto contribution”. I contribute to get the full match (actually more), so that’s 8% the company is putting into my 401k.

While this sounds especially generous, we previously had a retirement program that was more lucrative.

As mentioned earlier, I contribute more than required to get the full match. I contribute 8%, so I have a total of 16% headed into my 401k.

I am 52 years old and hope to “retire” (seek work that is more fun) before I reach 60.

2. Chris January 25, 2012 at 4:53 pm #

I have a 457, but there is no match.

3. Chris January 25, 2012 at 4:54 pm #

Forgot to add, my wife has a 401-K and she gets dollar for dollar for the first 3% and 50 cents for the next 3%. She is saving 15% of her salary as retirement between 401-k and Roth.

4. Tom January 28, 2012 at 5:10 pm #

My company has a 403b and has it set up that all employees are required to put in 2% and they match 2%. We are also vested from day 1, and have three different options of vendors to choose from.

I hear before I started 2.5 years ago they also used to match up to and additional 5-6%, but they got rid of the additional matching portion when the recession hit and they had to cut costs. They still provide the 2% match though.

5. Arlene January 30, 2012 at 5:11 pm #

My company has a 403b and they match up to 6%, so I put in 6% before taxes. I think that’s good and im 28 years old.

6. Travis January 31, 2012 at 11:50 pm #

My company matches up to 6% dollar for dollar. My wife is a teacher in MO and has a mandatory 14% that goes into her retirement fund, which is matched dollar for dollar. Since we make very similar incomes, between the two of us, we are basically getting a dollar for dollar match of 10% of our combined income. Not too shabby!

7. Andrew February 7, 2012 at 12:05 am #

My company does 401K Matching will match dollar for dollar up to 10%! I’ve currently only been contributing 8% to help ends meet, but since I’ve recently gotten a raise, I will be switching to contributing the full 10% to get the most out of the matching!