Anyone who has attended a Financial Learning Experience has heard me say that it is important to INVEST money and to do so every single time you are paid money. At the end of our live events, I am regularly asked or emailed the following question:
“What investments do you recommend?”
My answer is always, “I don’t recommend specific investments. I can only tell you the investments I own, and they have worked well for me. The investments you choose are up to you.”
Occasionally, I update everyone on the investments I currently hold. Below is a chart of the current investments we hold. If it is publicly-traded, I have included the ticker symbol. Click on the chart itself (or HERE) to see a larger version.
We have finally seen the market improvement that many people expected. With companies declaring record profits and sitting on record amounts of cash, I’m seeing that they are finally beginning to invest again. That should bode well for investors and the economy at large. At this moment, I will continue to purchase individual stocks as well as research private investments – particularly small businesses (my favorite!).
Here’s the pie chart showing the investment distribution:
- The stock market has been hot, but nothing is ever hot enough for me to put all my eggs into one basket. I greatly prefer diversification beyond the open markets.
- A lot of day traders think they are incredible geniuses right now. That’s not because they are all awesome – it’s because it is hard to lose in this type of market! As enticing as day trading may seem, it feels a lot like gambling. I prefer being a “slow & steady” and “stay the course” investor.
- Tracking net worth on a monthly basis has made me a “first-hand witness” to the incredible momentum of my investments. Without consistently tracking net worth, I’m pretty sure I would have missed it!
“How to become a millionaire.”
That title can seem to reek of selfishness or greed, but what if you looked at wealth this way:
- Wealth allows us to serve and bless the less fortunate.
- Wealth enables us to fund the work of our church and other great causes.
- Wealth allows us to focus on doing EXACTLY what we’ve been called to do!
- Wealth provides income so we can meet our needs when we are no longer able to work.
Perspective matters, doesn’t it?
I’ve tried broke, and I’ve tried not being broke. I like not being broke much better!
With that said, here’s how YOU can become a millionaire:
INVEST and capture the power of COMPOUND INTEREST.
When it comes to compound interest, three things matter a lot:
- Amount of money invested (start with whatever you can and work to increase it from there)
- Time (start early!)
- Interest rate (growth rate of your investment)
Here’s how YOU can achieve $1,000,000 at a constant Interest Rate of 12%:
- Invest $85.00 per month for 40 years at 12% annual interest.
- Invest $286.13 per month for 30 years at 12% annual interest.
- Invest $1,010.86 per month for 20 years at 12% annual interest.
- Invest $4,347.09 per month for 10 years at 12% annual interest.
Here are some ways YOU can achieve $1,000,000 in just 20 years:
- Invest $1,697.73 per month for 20 years at 8% annual interest.
- Invest $1,316.88 per month for 20 years at 10% annual interest.
- Invest $1,010.86 per month for 20 years at 12% annual interest.
- Invest $768.54 per month for 20 years at 14% annual interest.
Here is how YOU can achieve $1,000,000 with just $300 per month:
- Invest $300.00 per month for 473 months at 8% annual interest.
- Invest $300.00 per month for 404 months at 10% annual interest.
- Invest $300.00 per month for 355 months at 12% annual interest
- Invest $300.00 per month for 318 months at 14% annual interest.
For those familiar with investing, I already know one of the biggest questions you want to ask:
“Where on earth do I get 12% annual interest?”
It’s a great question! The number one way to get 50% or even 100% interest is to contribute to an employer-sponsored retirement plan where matching contributions are made. For example, if your employer matches your contributions “dollar-for-dollar” up to 3% of your pay, that is a 100% interest rate that AUTOMATICALLY HAPPENS with NO RISK! It’s called FREE MONEY! Beyond that, I like investing in mutual funds that are older than me and also in other great investments like residential and commercial real estate as well as small businesses.
In fact, I have spread my investments into most of these categories with small businesses and mutual funds being my preferred options. If you are interested, you can view my CURRENT INVESTMENTS HERE.
Are you wanting to break out of the ordinary into extraordinary? My latest book, OXEN: The Key to an Abundant Harvest, can help you grow what you have into an abundant harvest. Read more and purchase OXEN HERE.
QUESTION: What do YOU need to do to become a millionaire? Share with us in the comments HERE.
Most people struggle to save money. There are so many urgent and important items that compete for every single dollar in our wallet.
The kids are constantly growing out of their clothes, something in the house is continually breaking down, and the car seems to have a ravenous appetite for money. These are all items that consume our money, but the largest competitor for savings in most people’s household is FOOD. In fact, when someone completes their first-ever budget, they begin to review their actual spending patterns and nearly always come to the same conclusion that they’ve been spending way to much on food. They summarize their discovery by stating something like:
“I’ve found out where my savings account is – I’ve been eating it!”
I discovered this truth when I did my first budget way back in July 2003! The realization is as stark today as it was then. I was literally eating my savings (and my future)!
There are many ways to reduce your food costs (and I would love for you to share your great ideas with us all in the comments!):
- Don’t go to the grocery store when you are hungry!
- Split a meal with someone else while at a restaurant.
- Use cash envelopes
- Shop the sales at the grocery store!
- Use coupons (but buy things you will really use!)
- Make dinners from scratch (healthier and brings family together!)
- Designate one week as a “We’re eating all our meals using stuff in the pantry this week!” (you will quite possibly have the most interesting meals you’ve ever had!)
Readers: What additional ideas would you share? Click HERE to share in the comments!
Welcome to the latest series at the wildly popular JosephSangl.com: “5 Things That Will Help Fix The Economy” In this series, I will be sharing some principles I believe will help fix the economy long term.
The economy has been stuck for some time. The words “Great Recession,” “Fiscal Cliff,” “Sequestration,” “Stagnant,” and “Jobless Recovery” have become common everyday language.
Number 5: Make rip-off loans illegal
I know this seems a little out of place when compared to the other four items, but I really feel this needs to be included. When economies allow organizations to charge OUTRAGEOUS fees and interest to citizens, it is positioned to eliminate the middle class.
In a coaching appointment, I had a person who had signed up for a “payday” loan. The loan agreement clearly outlines that the “annual percentage rate” was 782.14%. That is not a typo! The interest being charged to this person was 782.14%.
I’ve heard arguments from those who make these types of loans:
- We help people who are “in a pinch” You can actually say that with a straight face?
- People voluntarily sign up for these loans. This doesn’t make it right!
- These are smaller loans, so it’s not that big of a deal. Yes, it is!
Have you noticed where these rip-off loan businesses are located? Near rich neighborhoods? Nope. They are located next to communities where people have little money education. It’s my goal to help educate everyone to the point that no one would ever borrow money with such horrific financial terms and these types of organizations have to go out of business!
This type of lending is awful, and it should be illegal. Who’s with me?
Read the entire series (available after 3/14/2013)