Today is my birthday.
I’ve been blessed greatly during these 40 years. Here are a few of the greatest blessings:
- Awesome parents
- 5 incredible brothers (including an identical twin – yes, there are TWO of us!)
- Growing up on a farm in the country
- Learning the value of work and serving others at a very young age
- Literally seeing the principle of “sowing & reaping” at work all around me
- Attending Purdue University and graduating with a degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Meeting my bride, Jennifer, and getting married
- Having a daughter when doctors were skeptical it could happen – and then having a son 10 years later, and then another beautiful daughter 4 years after our son. I still can’t believe we have three children. What a blessing!
- Attending Clemson University and graduating with a Masters of Business Administration
- Helping start NewSpring Church back in 1999 with my crazy lunatic friend, Perry Noble, and watching it grow to more than 33,000 people per weekend
- Starting I Was Broke. Now I’m Not.
- Multiple fishing trips – including many to Canada where I caught a 46.5″ 28# muskie
- Purchasing INJOY Stewardship Solutions.
- Purchased land where I can take my children to run free and wild like I did when I was a kid
- Living in 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 different dwellings (apartments & houses) in 4 cities (2 in Indiana, 2 in South Carolina)
If I’m blessed to live 40 more years, here are some of my dreams for those years:
- Help my children graduate college without student loan debt
- Fund my wife’s dreams (she’s be VERY patient while I pursued many of my dreams)
- Maximize time with family through intentional blocking out chunks of quality time with them
- Visit the world beyond North America – including Israel, Australia, England, France, Germany, Italy, Greece, Austria, Denmark, Sweden, Hong Kong, Japan, South Africa, Egypt, Brazil, and Argentina.
- Serve 10,000,000 people through I Was Broke. Now I’m Not.’s personal finance and small business programs – enough to make a measurable difference in their individual situations and in the world economy.
- Help NewSpring Church reach its goal of 100,000 people per weekend (and beyond)
- Write 20 more books/resources/equipping classes
- Become a trusted resource to and help influence the decisions of the United States Federal Government in such a way that we achieve a balanced budget and substantially reduce the National Debt
- Start a university that is thriving after 40 years
Ultimately, I would love to achieve my life goal of being on the Great Wall of China when I’m 90 years old. Time will tell if I reach that goal. Check with me in 50 years.