Joseph Sangl’s Current Investments – 2016

Anyone who has hung around the I Was Broke. Now I’m Not. team for long has surely heard the following statement:

“There is no HARVEST if you do not INVEST.”

And it is true. A farmer knows this intuitively. A harvest is impossible without investing seed into the ground.

The same is true for your finances. If you do not invest money, there is no chance of an abundant harvest.

In fact, one of the most common questions we receive is: “What investments do you recommend?

My answer is always, “I don’t recommend specific investments. I can only tell you the investments I own, and they have worked well for me. The investments you choose are up to you.”

Occasionally, I update everyone on the investments I currently hold. Below is a chart of the current investments we hold. If it is publicly-traded, I have included the ticker symbol. Click on the chart itself (or HERE) to see a larger version.

JSInv2016

It’s crazy that yet another year has passed and if you look at my 2015 update, you will see several investment changes. This is due to several trades in individual stocks as well as the continued acquisition of real estate and growth of our business holdings. You can click the pie chart below to see a larger version.

PortfolioDistribution2016-03JDS

My views of the investing market place:

1. Stock Market turmoil  I believe the stock market will continue to experience a “roiling effect” due to the continued re-balancing of oil supply, China economic transition, political election cycle of the United States, as well as P/E (Price-to-Earnings) being appropriately priced. Until real sustained economic growth is proven over several consecutive quarters, it is difficult to see rapid growth of stocks.
  2. Dividends rule – Right now, there are many companies who have chosen to increase their dividends because company leaders apparently see few opportunities to better use the money.
  3. Entrepreneurial spirit  Individuals who choose to grow will be the ones who experience substantial and sustained growth of their investment portfolio. There are fewer “passive” growth opportunities right now than in the past ten years. Those who choose to lean into “risk” will be the ones rewarded with returns.

I welcome your thoughts on the investing market place as well. What do you think? What are your strategies?

Read previous installments of Joe Sangl’s “Current Investments” posts HERE.

6 Comments

1. Corry Wilkerson on March 29, 2016 at 1:57 pm

What I need to do to get started in investing

2. Kathryn Dane on March 29, 2016 at 5:09 pm

I retired at the end of 2015 and have contributed to a 403B retirement plan through my workplace. As a retiree, I am no longer eligible to contribute through that plan. I am looking for options where I can continue to invest for the future. Do you have any suggestions?

3. Mike O on March 30, 2016 at 11:34 pm

Are you concerned at all by the number of different investments that you hold? That seems like it would be difficult to manage – and I’ve always been a fan of the “keep it simple” philosophies.

4. Tiffany on April 26, 2016 at 5:38 pm

I remember you mentioned talking with a financial advisor during a webinar. I have been meeting with someone at Edward Jones. I now need to decide – do I pay them to manage my money or try to do it on my own? I really have little knowledge about it.

5. Teresa Leaper-Holt on June 30, 2016 at 8:52 pm

Today is Thurs., 30June2016–Hello, I’m a 57 year old retiree (retired Dec 2011); a part-time college student with 3 classes remaining to get an associates degree (and also a double major) in a community college wqorking on a lifes dream/goal of obtaining my college degree–Due to a 7-year spiritual warfare type family issue in which i’d rented a house from a relative i found myself exhausing my retirement. a year ago I moved into an apartment, now re-building my nest egg and now I’m starting all over by renting an apartment, I’m in a program to buy a house BUT I will not do this until I’ve eliminated my credit card debts (I’ve completed a personal finance course) and have a budget. I’ve also attended a church service in Washington, DC in which Joe Sangle preached/taught on financial planning and after the sermon conducted a 1-2 hour finance seminar at Greater Mt. Calvary Church in Wash., DC. I want to invest in something small now while on my budget. I still need to continue stay in the loop[ in reading and attending various personal finance things to keep motivated. any suggestions as to how I can start investing in something “small now” as an incentive for future as I continue on my budget until my credit card debt is eliminated? I am a part-time student at the University of the District of Columbia also in a free program entitled Workforce development for Lifelong living which is also an additional program within the school. My school email address is teresa.holt@udc.edu

6. Karen Lee on March 5, 2017 at 11:03 pm

Do you recommend Scott trade sir please?