As part of our retirement planning series, we’re reviewing various online retirement calculators.
TODAY’S FOCUS: Voya Financial’s MyOrangeMoney Retirement Calculator
- # of Questions: 5 Total Questions
- “How old are you?”
- “What’s your annual income?”
- “How much have you saved for retirement so far?”
- “How much are you saving per month today?”
- “How much future income are you expecting from other sources?”
- Results: 3 Key Numbers
- “Estimated monthly income”
- “Estimated monthly goal”
- “A difference of”
Thoughts regarding this calculator:
- Ease of use: 1 (1: Easy | 5: Challenging | 10: Very Difficult)
- Scenario Analysis Excellent. User is able to easily make adjustments to the initial data points using simple sliders and clicks.
- Conservative Calculation This calculator is fairly conservative. It assumes the following:
- Retirement Income: 70% of working income. This might be a little low. Many calculators use 80% as their working assumption.
- Rate of Return: 5% growth rate is the default. You can adjust this rate up or down using a simple slider.
- Inflation Rate: This calculator uses 3% inflation rate. This is conservative relative to the more recent past.
- Spouse not included The user must combine incomes and investments savings in order to calculate their overall progress toward retirement. While this might seem intuitive for some people, it is not readily obvious.
OVERALL RATING: 4 (out of 5)