It was 52 years ago today that my parents said, “I do!”
I’m glad they did!
Like any couple who has celebrated 52 years of marriage, they have kept their vows in spite of major challenges. It is worthy of honor so here is a list of things I wanted to point out that make me proud to say I am a son of Roy and Sandra Sangl.
- My father started a business from scratch and made it pay off. I NEVER heard him complain about getting up to work. EVER. He was up long before I opened an eyelid.
- My mother always had breakfast ready to roll.
- They had six children – all of them boys – with the perfect ending of identical twin boys (I was one of them and they tell me I was born 7 minutes after my twin bro).
- They survived the raising of all six of us without going completely crazy.
- I was brought to church every Sunday AM, Sunday PM, Tuesday, and Thursday – then youth on Friday night
- They raised us on a farm – complete with hogs, cows, chickens, ducks, dogs, cats, corn, soybeans, and wheat.
- They raised us to be thrifty.
- I got to observe business ownership from the inside – the good, the bad, and the ugly
- My mother taught me how to crochet – which is a man-skill because if we get stuck in the jungle, I know how to do some serious weaving and knot-tying
- Family gatherings have always been a priority. I can’t remember a holiday growing up where there weren’t at least 30 to 40 people present. For me, going to hang out with family has always been something I look forward to – not an obligation.
- They are hilarious. Trust me on this one. Watching and listening to them is a rolling circus.
Mom and Dad – Congratulations on 52 years!